Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spicy Pineapple Rice

First, let me explain the picture... I decided that this rice would be the perfect compliment to the Chinese Chicken rollups that I make (and I was so.right!) but I didn't remember to take a picture of the rice until after I started the rollup... so that's why the rice is on a tortilla and lettuce...

I made a few adjustments to this recipe because I don't really like coconut and I didn't want it too spicy for the kids, but I left the recipe as the original here.

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, diced
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic, from a jar is fine
1 cup basmati rice or jasmine rice or white rice
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup drained pineapple chunks

In a medium saucepan, sautee shallot and garlic in the olive oil until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add curry powder.

Pour in rice and stir constantly until rice is opaque and begins to brown.

Pour in Pineapple Juice, Water and coconut and bring to a boil.

Add Crushed Red Pepper and reduce heat to low. Simmer 25 minutes or until rice is a desired doneness.

Add pineapple chunks.

Fluff with fork and serve.

Recipe courtesy of: Sonya
[click here for printable version]

No comments: