Sunday, April 03, 2011

Double Dark Chocolate Cookies

These cookies came about for a few reasons. First, I was eating these little devils [Pepperidge Farm Captiva Chocolate Brownie] like they were the new crack-cocaine. Second, I was feeling the urge to bake cookies from scratch which I haven't done in forever. Third, it was my birthday and The Spawn gave me this:

Tell me you wouldn't take it as a sign too? Anyways, these cookies didn't turn out as desired. Too cookie like and the candy coating on the dark chocolate pieces made it too sweet for me. I'm going to play around more with a brownie recipe, dutch process cocoa and Ghiradelli [spelling] chocolate. Stay.Tuned.


8 ounces unsalted butter, 2 sticks
1-1/2 to 2 cups flour (I started with less and added more until a good "cookie" consistancy)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut butter into pieces and allow to soften.

In medium bowl, mix together cups flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder; set aside.

In separate bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter with both sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, to creamed mixture. Beat in vanilla extract.

Slowly add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating well with electric mixer after each addition.

Stir in chocolate pieces using wooden spoon.

Drop 1-1/2-inch balls of dough onto greased cookie sheet.

Bake 9 minutes on middle oven rack.

Let cookies cool for several minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack (they will be too soft when first removed from oven).

No comments: