Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Marinated Cucumber & Tomato Salad

This turned out to be a great salad alternative to the Greek version that I usually make. I made mine slightly heavy on the cukes, medium on the tomatoes and very light on the onion so that The Diva would eat it. I'm not so sure about the addition of mint to this, I may play around with some cilantro when The Spawn's herb garden grows in. I also used red wine vinegar.

3 medium cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices [I diced mine]
3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white vinegar (sometimes we use varying kinds of gourmet vinegars for a variety of tastes)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sugar, mint, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Add cucumber slices, tomato wedges, and onion slices. Toss gently to coat. Cover the vegetable mixture and chill at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Recipe courtesy of: Sonya
[click here for printable version]

No comments: